The thing that really gets me with all of this is that Iams pet food is labelled "Made in the U.S.A.". It does not say "Made in the U.S.A. with imported ingredients." I call that false advertising.
I don't particularly care where my food is manufactured. I eat plenty of imported foods. I don't know what I'd do without the "ethnic" aisle in my grocery store. Were I able to do so, I would do most of my shopping at asian and latino markets because there's generally a much better selection of gluten-free foods. I understand the foods I buy, if they are imported, may not be rigorously tested and I know I am taking my health into my own hands, but I know I am doing so. It is my choice. I also know, however, that many people DO buy products based on whether they're made in the U.S. or imported. Some do so out of patriotism, but i think the main selling point -- and my issue with this -- is the implied safety in foods labelled "Made in the U.S.A.". One would expect a food made in the US to contain ingredients produced in the US and, thus, subjected to rigorous health and safety standards.
The FTC regulates the labeling of products as "made in the U.S.A.". You can read about it here. They require any product labeled "made in [the] USA" to be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. but not necessarily of domestic origin. They detail several ways in which they determine this, including how much of the manufacturing process occurs before it is imported, the percentage of inventory cost that can be attributed to foreign sources, and how much the finished product resembles the imported ingredients.
Menu Foods, the source of much of the recalled pet food, is also listed on http://www.madeinusa.com, a website that pushes consumers to buy products made in the USA. Also listed is The Iams Co. Apparently, we are expected to support American manufacturers, but not American farmers, ranchers and dairymen (not to mention other American manufacturers of food ingredients).
All of this has personal impact for me. Even if imported ingredients aren't actually tainted with anything generally poisonous, it is impossible to determine the source of starches in imported ingredients. While a tiny bit won't kill me, there are several ingredients that MAY contain gluten if from a foreign source but not from a domestic source (maltodextrin being the big one). If I'm reading a bottle labeled "Made in the USA", I will assume the ingredients are safe while that is obviously not the case. I don't know why I do this. I know, for example, that potato chips can be dusted with maltodextrin to make spices stick and may be dusted with flour to keep them from sticking to each other, but neither ingredient is listed on the label because there is such a negligible amount (but enough to bother me). There is also no indication of whether those ingredients that can come from either one are from plant or animal sources, but a "made in the USA" label would, again, lead one to assume the best.
According to this AP article, the FDA has only enough inspectors to inspect about 1(!) percent of imported food shipments and ingredients are the absolute lowest priority. If it's not rotten and stinking, it'll probably get passed on to the manufacturer. Of course, for the manufacturer, it takes time and money to check ingredients for non-obvious contamination which are costs that would then be passed on to the consumer; just what the manufacturer is trying to avoid by opting for super-cheap imported ingredients.
Paint me pissed off.
here's the CNN article and here's what i clipped w/ Clipmarks:
Procter & Gamble announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, P&G said.
The brands of dog and cat foods affected (condensed from the separate CNN lists):
Americas Choice; Preferred Pets; Authority; Award; Best Choice; Big Bet; Big Red; Bloom; Bruiser; Cadillac; Companion; Compliments; Demoulas Market Basket; Fine Feline Cat, Shep Dog; Food Lion; Foodtown; Giant Companion; Great Choice; Good n Meaty; Hannaford; Hill Country Fare; Hy-Vee; Key Food; Laura Lynn; Li'l Red; Loving Meals; Main Choice; Mixables; Nutriplan; Nutro Max; Nutro Max Gourmet Classics; Nutro Natural Choice; Ol' Roy; Paws; Pet Essentials; Pet Pride; Presidents Choice; Price Chopper; Priority; Publix; Roche Bros; Save-A-Lot; Schnucks; Sophistacat; Special Kitty; Springfield Pride; Sprout; Stater Bros; Total Pet; My True Friend; Wegmans; Western Family; White Rose; Winn Dixie and Your Pet.
On my cans of cat food, the product code looks like this:
170508 US61593 533
Obviously, this means I do not feed my poor, starving kittens wet food often enough since the recall affects food sold in stores from December-March and I still have more than half the 24-pack I bought back in Sept or Oct.
ETA: having lived in various places around the US, i've noticed Western Family brand seems to be the same as ShurFine which is not listed in the recall (nor do I know if they make pet food under that imprint), but for safety's sake please be aware.
ETA 2: the Menu Foods recall website
moral of the story: i like rice sticks
Two people showed up to my Partylite party. It was embarrassing, especially after I'd had verbal assurances from at least 3 other people. Even 5 would've been okay with me. I guess that goes to show how wildly popular I am. I don't have to close my show til the 18th and a couple of the waitstaff at the restaurant were interested in things, but I still feel like I wasted Liz's time.
Also, as I was coming back from the restroom, one of the servers and her tray full of drinks collided with me. It just got the back of me, but I felt bad for her having to mop it up. =/ Everyone there (Mexicali Rose) was *really* nice and the room is great. It even has dimmers on the lights plus happy hour is 3p-6p so it was well-timed had anyone shown up and wanted drinks or appetizers.
If anyone wants to take pity on me, you can take a look at the Partylite website and let me know. Hell, if you want anything, I'll ship it to you on me (stuff from my party comes to me). The reed diffusers look really nifty and I love the wall sconces of various types. Also, nearly all the candles smell delicious (and some of the ones i'm not crazy about other people are). Not that you have to take pity on me or anything. I'm just puttin' it out there.
On top of everything, I barely missed the bus so I ended up walking from the restaurant to Walgreen's and then from Walgreen's home. I needed chocolate which is mostly why I missed the bus. It went by while i was standing in line at Walgreen's. I did, however, get chocolate. I suppose the 1.5 mile walk doesn't hurt me, either.
So. Yeah. That's my sob story. Now I have the joy of cleaning out the refrigerator and cleaning the litter boxes to look forward to because it's trash night.
Totally awesome day, eh?
used 12 oz white mushrooms (about 3 cups, diced), 1 small onion (minced), 1.5 T butter to saute the onions and mushrooms, 2 T salt, 1/4 t pepper, 1 t dried parsley, 1 pinch garlic powder (added to sauteed stuff after they're cooked through and sauteed another min), 2 C half and half (added to sauteed stuff), 1/4 c water w/ 4 t tapioca flour mixed in and added to soup when it comes just to a boil then cooked til it thickens.
I poured some of it onto chicken legs i'd previously baked at 400 for about 45 mins (with garlic and pepper, of course) and then put in the crockpot. It just has to mingle for a little while then i'll make rice.
i have not cleaned like i meant to (shock, i know), but the past two days, i've awakened with neck spasms and i just can't handle it anymore. My teeth throb and i feel like the ice pick is back, stabbing me in the ear and the base of my neck all the way around just ACHES. the prior auth required for the prescription of celebrex has not yet been approved by the stupid people and ibuprofen doesn't work at all, it just gives me really bad menstrual cramps on top of the pain in my neck, jaw and head.
Must go check food now.
Also, i'm re-reading Big, Big Love by Hanne Blank and plan to buy a few more copies and release them into the wild. I need to remember i'm worthy of being loved and deserve exactly what i want (rather than settling for what i think i can get).
1. make a schedule and actually GO to the gym.
2. be more social.
3. actually have at least one freakin' second date.
4. be better about cleaning (i hatehatehate it).
5. do not eat wheat no matter how delicious it may look.
6. forget That Boy (really).
7. do better.
8. cry less, laugh more.
9. find a place to volunteer and actually do it.
10. get hit on the head by magic money falling out of the sky so Ican have a new computer (an 8 yr old 466 simply will not do), so Ican afford school and so I an pay off bills and still have moneyfor a few nice things.
11. do something about wanting to go back to school, magic money ornot.
12. find a more challenging/interesting job.
13. write something original and longer than 10 pages.
14. study Scrabble stems.
15. get tournament gear and go to more Scrabble tournaments (see#10).
16. be a better person in general.
17. get financial stupidity straightened out.
18. visit mom (may combine with #15).
19. change the litterbox more often.
20. read more (actual reading, audiobooks at work don'tcount).
There. Now I'm sure I look the picture of awesomeness andhas-it-togetherness. I am utterly irresistable.
Make a post to your LJ. The post should contain your list of 10 holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fandom-related ("I'd love a Snape/Hermione icon that'sjust for me") to medium ("I wish for _____on DVD") to really big ("All I want for Christmas is a new car/computer/house/TV.") The importantthing is, make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
Surf around your friends list (or friendsfriends, or just random journals)to see who has posted their list. And now here's the important part:
If you see a wish you can grant, and it's in your heart to do so, make someone's wish come true. You needn't spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn't to put people out, it's to provide everyone a chance to be someone else's holiday elf—to spread the joy.Gifts can be made anonymously or not—it's your call.
1. To stop drowning in debt, start cleaning up my credit and learn to live within my means.
2. A new computer (mine is 8+ yrs old, an AMD k6 466) that has some bells and whistles will last me awhile (laptops welcome).
3. Driving lessons.
4. A reliable car.
5. A job that doesn't bore me and pays better (with people around me who don't treat me like trash -- not that they do at this one, but the last one was just SO bad).
6. To go be able to afford to go back to school both time-wise and energy-wise and to finish this time.
7. To be warm (my landlord keeps the thermostat at 60 and the house isn't at all winterized [needs new windows and doors/needs a new furnace]) and i can't afford to do it).
8. To be less than 439.01 overdrawn at my bank (landlord deposited last month's and this month's rent at the same time and my paypal was overdrawn as well so my christmas present from mom left me with $13... i won't have a positive bank balance until 1/19. Of course, I am well aware this is all my fault and I get myself into stupid shit like this all the time, but I can still wish I was smarter).
9. To have a place of my own without landlords. Someplace where I can turn the freakin' heat up and have a bath/shower that's more than lukewarm. It's all part of the comfort thing which I am sorely lacking.
10. Scrabble tournament gear (A custom, folding scrabble board in ivory or pearl, pink breast cancer awareness protiles, a pink pocket samtimer, and a tile bag in funky monkey (the lotsa monkeys one or the green) or maybe happy bubbles or glittery stars with complementary washable silky/satiny lining -- tilebags and tiles are supposed to be washed on a fairly regular basis and always before tournaments).
So. Yeah. That's me being selfish. I'm not going to post contact details 'cause it's not like anyone could afford anything on my list that requires money or could do any of the rest.
I would also like to repeat, for the millionth time, I HATE MONEY. It's always bad. I'm always so, so bad with it. No matter how hard I try not to spend, I never get ahead. I spent several months not doing/buying ANYTHING extraneous and was still constantly in the hole. I am so, so, so tired of it. So tired of dealing with everything by myself. Of course, who'd want someone who's always in debt? I am the least together person ever.